Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Buckwheat Tabouli Salad


I am absolutely in love with tabouli. Tabouli is a perfectly light dish to enjoy in the spring or summer months. And I don't use the word "anyone" lightly here. My boyfriend adored the tabouli I made for him last night, which was so shocking coming from a guy who hates anything green but money. I made the tabouli at home and brought it over his house in an airtight container and once I popped off that lid and told him to breathe in the splendor, he fell in love. We paired it with toasted pita bread for an authentic Mediterranean feel. Now, only if I had a brick-paved, outdoor trattoria to enjoy my coffee in the morning....

2 bunches parsley, finely chopped
6 green onions, finely chopped
1 tablespoon dried mint
3 tomatoes, finely diced
2 cups vegetable stock
1 cup buckwheat
1 egg white, beaten slightly
3 tablespoons olive oil
4 lemons, juiced
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp black pepper

*Bring vegetable stock to a boil
*In the meantime, mix together beaten egg white with buckwheat
*Add buckwheat mixture to pan set at high heat and cook for 3 minutes, stirring regularly to break up clumps
*Add buckwheat mixture to stock and cook for 7 minutes, covered
*In the meantime, mix together salt, pepper, lemon juice, olive oil and mint and set aside
*Let buckwheat cool
*Mix buckwheat together with tomatoes, green onions, parsley and dressing mixture
*Add salt and pepper to taste
*Serve with pita bread

No comments:

Post a Comment