Saturday, July 31, 2010

Fresh Chive and Onion Cream Cheese


Before my family's annual crabbing event, we always take the time to wake up with the sun and have an early breakfast together. Coffee, bagels and cream cheese is always our breakfast of choice because it is very simple and easy to eat while we are running around gathering items for the day.

I have a beautiful container garden in my backyard, complete with tomatoes, green beans, herbs, eggplant and chives. And what would go perfect with cream cheese and bagels? Chives. The night before, I sauteed half an onion and 5 stalks of chives in 1 tablespoon of butter over medium-high heat for 8 minutes. After letting it cool, I simply mix it with Philadelphia cream cheese, along with a dash of salt to bring out the chives' complex flavors.

OK, so this is semi-homemade, but it is still wonderfully easy and delicious!

No comments:

Post a Comment