Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Yada Yada Yada
Spinach, Walnut & Feta Pesto


This is my second attempt at making pesto. The first time, I will admit, did not turn out so well, which is a shame, because it is expensive to make. So, rather than wasting money and energy on creating an expensive pesto that may or may not turn out so hot, I decided to make substitutions this time. Usually, pesto is made with pine nuts, basil and Parmesan cheese. I swapped out those main ingredients with walnuts, spinach and feta cheese. I am so glad I did. The texture of the sauce was amazing, slightly thick and very creamy. Garlic was very present in the dish, so if you prefer a less potent taste of garlic, use less.

I will get a picture over to you later today. But you get the gist, pesto is green and creamy...yada yada yada...Got it. Not so hard to imagine, I bet?

Spinach, Walnut & Feta Pesto
Serving Size: 6

What You'll Need:

*2 cups spinach, washed thoroughly and packed tightly when measuring
*2 cloves garlic- chopped finely
*1/2 cup reduced fat feta cheese
*2 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
*1/2 tsp. dried basil
*Juice of 1 lemon
*1/2 cup walnuts

Instructions:
*Put ingredients (everything but the olive oil) into a blender and blend while drizzling in the olive oil very slowly until creamy in texture, approx. 1 minute, constantly scraping sides with a spatula
*Serve over your favorite pasta, using approx. a 1 lb. box to 1 1/2 lbs. of pasta, or serve as a spread on sandwiches or a panini

No comments:

Post a Comment