Monday, February 15, 2010

Crock Pot No Mash Shepherd's Pie


I have had a busy week. No time to cook, just to purchase it and eat it. Luckily, I came home today to my sister's creation working its wonders in the crock pot (her cooking tool of choice). The crock pot has made its way into my home recently, a Christmas present my sister received this year. I have yet to master the art of crockpotting, (yes, I believe this word should be used in the world of cooking) but I plan on experimenting in the days to come.

Magically, dinners are fully prepped, fully cooked and kept warm and waiting for you to enjoy. Cookbooks have been popping up on bookshelves everywhere tailoring to the crock pot chef- the busy parent, the workaholic professional.

This past weekend, I took a lovely walk to the Reading Terminal Market in Philadelphia. The aisles were packed with tourists and locals, looking for great flavors, fresh flowers and vibrant produce. I was there strictly for the produce. I searched through the crowded aisles of greens, reds, oranges and yellows until I found the perfect vegetable for my sister to cook with this week (as I said, very busy week for me) and found green beans.

Green beans are the perfect vegetable, easily accepted in a stew, never shunned by her stir fry friends, and never shy when acting alone. But how would they hold up to the challenge of being crockpotted? Would my sister succeed in showcasing the perfection of these multi-talented legumes? Let me know your thoughts. Enjoy!

Crock Pot No Mash Shepherd's Pie
Serving Size: 6

What You'll Need:

* 1 pound Lean Ground Beef
* 1 pound fresh green beans- trimmed and washed
* 6 Yukon Gold Potatoes- scrubbed clean and sliced thin
* 1 Large Red Onion- Sliced Thin
* 1 Packet Swedish Meatball Seasoning & Sauce Mix Packet
* 3/4 Cup 2% Milk
* Salt & Pepper to taste
* Pam cooking spray

1. Spray sides and bottom of crock pot with Pam cooking spray
2. Divide onions, green beans and beef into thirds
3. Divide Potatoes into fourths
4. Mix together milk, salt, pepper and seasoning packet and heat in microwave for 1 minute and whisk well to combine, return to microwave and heat for an additional 30 seconds
5. Split seasoning mixture into fourths
6. Add one layer of potatoes to crock pot
7. Add layer of onions
8. Add layer of ground beef
9. Add layer of green beans
10. Pour sauce over mixture
11. Repeat until everything is gone
12. Potatoes and then the sauce should be the last layers
13. Set on high and cook for 4 hours or Cook for 8 hours on low

No comments:

Post a Comment