Thursday, January 7, 2010

Sausage & Potato Fritatta


OK! OK! I am not obsessed with meat. It just seems as if I am. My father brought over veal and sausage last week, in which I used half and froze the other half, so what was I supposed to do, say no to free food? I don't think so. (Next week I will go over the basics on how to go food shopping in other people's cupboards and make an entire meal from those "Free" items.)

So this morning, I cooked up my Sausage & Potato Fritatta. I promise, tonight's meal will be vegetarian and yummy.

I hope you appreciate my intense measuring, timing and early rising to produce such a masterpiece. I am doing all of this for you, you know. Enjoy!

Sausage and Potato Fritatta
Serving Size: More than 2x the people in my household (or 5-6)

What You'll Need:
3 cups water
1/2 pound hot Italian sausage
3 Russett potatoes, peeled and cubed 1/2" in size
6 Large eggs
2 shallots, diced finely
1/4 cup whole milk
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp black pepper
2 Tbs fresh parsley, chopped finely
4 slices mozzarella cheese

In a medium saucepan, bring 3 cups of water to a boil.
Add the peeled and cut potatoes to pan and cook for 5 minutes.
Drain and set aside
In the meantime, cook the sausage pieces over medium heat in a medium size pan(has to be heat resistant, including handle) for 8 minutes
Remove from pan and set aside. Do not drain pan!
Add shallot to pan and cook for 3 minutes, stirring occassionally with wooden spoon, scraping sides and bottom of pan
Add potatos and sausage back to pan and heat for 2 minutes
In the meantime, while the sausage and potatoes are heating, whisk eggs, salt, pepper, parsley and milk in a medium bowl for 30 seconds
Add mixture to pan after sausage and potato mixture are finished heating
Cook for 3 minutes, scraping only sides of pan
Let cook for an additional 6 minutes on low flame without disrupting the mixture
Put oven on and set to Broil
Add cheese to top of mixture and place in oven on top rack and broil for 2 minutes
Remove from oven with oven mitts and let stand for 5 minutes to cool
Serve while hot.

1 comment: