Thursday, January 7, 2010

Orecchiette Pasta with Sauteed Broccoli Rabe- Eat Your Veggies



So my mother voiced her dismay yesterday when I decided to go with a recipe that is not from her collection. She wanted me to make her sausage scallopini. But another meat recipe? Yikes! I might as well add a disclaimer to this blog saying "You must consult a physician before going on a Foogitive regimen." So, I told her that I promised my readers, all 5 of you, that I would cook vegetarian, so that is exactly what I did. Well, she emailed me her recipe for sausage scallopini, anyway. I almost forgot how much I love that recipe. I can almost smell it now. Every time I arrived home when this dish was on the stove, I knew exactly what it was. The fresh mushrooms, sausage, tomatoes, onions and spices boil to a perfect temperature, creating cascades of scent waves throughout the air. So now that I have you salivating, in a few days you will get that recipe, but for now, you are with this leafy treat. I thought mother's wanted you to eat your veggies?

Orecchiette Pasta with Sauteed Broccoli Rabe
Servign Size: 4-6

1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
3 Anchovies soaked in olive oil with 1 tsp olive oil from jar
1 bunch broccoli rabe
1 medium size (0.2 oz) clove of garlic finely chopped
1 tbsp salt for water
1/2 tsp. red pepper flakes
1 pound orecchiette pasta

Fill large pot with 12 cups of water
Set on stove with lid over high heat and bring to a boil (will take 10 minutes)
In the meantime, cut 2" off tips of broccoli rabe
In colander, rinse broccoli rabe under cold water for 30 seconds
When water comes to a boil, place broccoli rabe in water, pushing broccoli rabe down with wooden spoon to ensure water is covering
Do not place lid on pot
Set timer for 15 minutes
Every 3 minutes, push down and stir contents of pot
After 15 minutes, drain broccoli rabe in colander and shake around in colander for 20 seconds
Fill pot with 12 cups of cold water and return to stove with lid over high flame
Bring to a boil (will take 10 minutes) * Make sure to use different water as noted unless your pasta will be bitter tasting
Once water comes to a boil, add 1 tbsp. salt and stir
Add pasta and stir
Set timer to 10 minutes
Over medium flame, heat large sautee pan for 30 seconds
Add 1 tbsp olive oil, 1 tsp oil from anchovy jar, 3 anchovies, 1 tsp red pepper flakes and garlic
With wooden spoon, smash anchovies into mixture and move around pan for 1 minute
Add broccoli rabe and mix around until everything is combined and cook for 8 minutes
When pasta is finished cooking, drain in colander and shake around for 30 seconds to remove any excess moisture
Add pasta to broccoli rabe mixture and mix until combined
Remove from heat and serve hot

No comments:

Post a Comment