Saturday, August 21, 2010

Panko Crusted Zucchini-Mint Sandwiches


I have taken into consideration the many options given to me through my Twitter account and through this blog for cranking out delicious meals, sides and desserts with my extra large zucchini and have decided to make the following: zucchini sandwiches, zucchini bread (my mother's recipe), ratatouille and zucchini brownies. You will see the recipe for zucchini sandwiches here today but keep an eye out for the others in the days to come.

My sister came up with the idea of making zucchini sandwiches, using the zucchini slices as the "bread". What a great idea! I used my mayo dredging technique, used to make my Fried Eggplant Rings for this recipe to keep it light and creamy. You can any fresh ingredient as the sandwich filling, including tuna and cheese, grilled chicken and even pepperoni and cheese to create a mini pizza. I chose vine-ripened jersey tomatoes, fresh mozzarella and fresh mint. The mint is essential in this dish, adding a nice pop of flavor to the unseasoned panko breadcrumbs.

Zucchini Sandwiches
Serving Size: 2 Sandwiches

Ingredients:
4 extra large slices of zucchini, sliced 3/4" thick
2 vine-ripened roma tomatoes, sliced 1/2" thick
4 slices fresh mozzarella cheese, sliced 1/2" thick
1/4 cup fresh mint, chopped
3/4 cup mayonnaise (I used light Smart Balance mayonnaise)
Panko breadcrumbs for coating
Salt & pepper to taste

Directions:
Heat oven to 425 degrees
Spray nonstick spray onto pan
Mix together mayo, mint, salt and pepper
Spread mayo mixture over both sides of the zucchini
Dip zucchini into the panko and lightly press to firmly coat
Place onto tray and cook for 12 minutes on each side
Add tomatoes and mozzarella cheese to center of sandwich and return to pan
Heat for approx. 5 minutes, or until cheese is lightly melted
Fork and knife needed!

I just had to take a picture of these delicious, juicy tomatoes for all to see!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment