Monday, March 1, 2010

Simple Bacon & Swiss Cheese Omelette



Breakfast burritos, French toast chicken sandwiches, hamburger omelettes, what's next: chicken Saltimbocca muffins?

Every time I go to the diner with my mother or boyfriend, they order an omelette, no matter what time of day. It could be six o'clock on a Saturday evening, where my father orders spaghetti bolognese, my grandmother ordering chicken Parmesan, I order a hearty meatloaf meal complete with two sides of vegetables, and still, an omelette is ordered. It has come to the point where they don't look at the menu, because they know they want an omelette, loaded with delicious cheese. I have seen this custom practiced many times, but still choose to cook and eat my omelette during normal omelette-eating hours.

This recipe is very simple, yet very tasty. I am using the fat rendered from cooking the bacon to cook the omelette. This adds an amazing flavor and depth to the standard omelette. I like my omelette fairly simple, choosing not to stuff it with additional ingredients, but for those of you who like something a bit thicker, mushrooms or asparagus would pair nicely with the bacon flavor.

For those who enjoy omelette eating at midnight, this omelette will satisfy- just ask my boyfriend.

Serving Size: 2
What You'll Need:

1/2 cup Egg Beaters
2 slices bacon
6 slices Swiss Cheese
Dash salt
Dash black pepper

For one omelette:
*Brown bacon slice, cooking for 3 minutes on one side and 2 minutes on the other side
*In the meantime, mix together salt, pepper and 1/4 cup egg Beaters
*Add to pan over bacon (bacon should be set in the middle of pan diagonally), set on medium-high heat
*Move egg around pan quickly, scraping sides, scraping egg mixture inwards and letting the liquid portion pour over to the sides and repeat until no liquid is left
*Add 2 slices swiss cheese to one side of the mixture
*Gently fold over egg mixture diagonally
*Add one slice swiss cheese to top of omelette
*Cover with small lid and let the steam melt the cheese for one minute
*Slide off pan into serving plate
*Sprinkle with chopped scallions if desired
*Repeat for additional omelette

No comments:

Post a Comment