Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Mommom Faiella's Sausage Scallopini


Cooking this recipe tonight reminded me of my childhood. The only changes to the scene were me as my mother and my sister playing myself. The oregano, parsley and tomato sauce permeated the air, causing my sister's arrival home from work a pleasant one, anxiously awaiting the upcoming meal. She hung out in the kitchen for the entire cooking process, saying she wanted to help, but I know she just wanted to breathe in the goodness. Now, if I only could make the smell of cleaning up after dinner a pleasant one...

This is almost straight out of my grandmother's recipe book. The only changes my mother made to this recipe were to substitute canned mushrooms with fresh mushrooms and to add a bit more seasonings.

Sausage Scallopini
Serving Size: 4

1 - 15 oz. can of tomato sauce
1 pound Italian sweet sausage cut into approximately 1 inch pieces
1/2 large onion minced
1 large pepper sliced (can be either green or red - I use green)
1 - 10 oz. package of white button mushrooms sliced
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp. Oregano
1 tsp. parsley flakes
1 tsp. garlic powder
2 1/2 cans of water (use the empty tomato sauce can to measure the water)
1 teaspoon of sugar (to be added to mixture after it starts to boil)
Cooked rice

Mix all of the above together except the last two ingredients
Bring the mixture to a boil.
Add the 1 teaspoon of sugar and stir in it well.
Then immediately lower the burner to a simmer with the lid on the pot slightly ajar.
Cook for 1 1/2 hours, stirring occasionally all of the way to the bottom.

*If you didn't add enough water from the beginning, you might need to add a little more water during the cooking time - you just have to judge if it looks like it cooked down too much. It should be liquidy, but more on the thick liquid side, not watery.

When finished cooking, serve it over the cooked rice.

1 comment: