Sunday, September 26, 2010

Take That Dunkin' Donuts! - Egg White Flatbread Turkey Breakfast Sandwich


Dunkin' Donuts has created a DDSmart menu, a menu consisting of approximately 9 healthier alternatives to their regular menu. The newest addition, the egg white flatbread turkey sandwich caught my eye immediately. Maybe it is the commercials, maybe I was just hungry, or maybe it was my boyfriend constantly saying "You have to try this Dunkin' Donuts breakfast sandwich, it's awesome." So I did, and yes, my friend, it is awesome.

There are 2 varieties, an Egg White Veggie sandwich which contains egg whites, peppers, mushrooms, onions and reduced fat cheddar cheese on a multigrain flatbread. The other variety is an Egg White Turkey Sausage sandwich which contains egg whites, spinach, turkey sausage and reduced fat mozzarella cheese on multigrain flatbread.

After trying the turkey version, I just had to try and recreate it - But I didn't know it was going to be this easy. I think I'm on to something here. I enjoy recreating recipes. I have been recreating my family's recipes for years. Now it is time to recreate a Dunkin' newcomer. Can she do it? Oh yes, she can!

Reasons why you should make this version rather than purchasing the Dunkin' Donuts version?

1. Timing- This sandwich was made within a commercial break. I had help, however, from my boyfriend, to create 2 of these within this short timeframe (we wanted to get back to the living room to see "Chopped" on the Food Network). Recreating this sandwich takes less time than it does to get out of your car, wait in line, place your order, wait for it to "cook" and then drive home and eat it.

2. Cost - My version is less expensive. DD charges $3.00. The entire grocery bill came to $16.00, which makes approx. 8 sandwiches, with leftovers. Savings: $8.00

3. Healthier - The Foodgitive version is healthier for you. The DD version contains 280 calories and 6 grams of fat. The Foodgitive version has 200 calories and 4 grams of fat.

Don't just take my word for it, try this recipe - if you have a few minutes to spare during your favorite TV show, of course!

The Foodgitive's - Take that Dunkin' Donuts! - Egg White Flatbread Turkey Sandwich (Serving Size 1)
Ingredients

1 Pepperidge Farm Deli Flats Whole Grain Rolls
4 tbsp. Egg Beaters Egg Whites
1 tbsp. pre-chopped green peppers
1 tbsp. green onions (chopped)
1 slices Veggie Cheese slices (soy-based)
1 slice reduced fat turkey deli slice (chopped)
Salt & Pepper to taste
Pam nonstick spray

Step 1: Spray the bottom of a microwave-safe bowl with Pam
Step 2 : Combine egg whites, green peppers, turkey, green onions, salt and pepper in a microwave-safe bowl (I used a creme brulee bowl to get that perfect rounded shape for my sandwich)
Step 3: Microwave on high for 1.5-2 minutes
Step 4: Remove from bowl and place on deli flat
Step 5: Place cheese on top
Step 6: Enjoy

2 comments:

  1. Good for you guys and thanks for sharing. Always healthier if you can make your own, you know what exactly is going into your mouth.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is our new go to breakfast sandwich! Take that DD!

    ReplyDelete